Saturday, November 13, 2010

Letter to Hank #12 - A Mess Inside and Out

You are a mess. And you make some incredible messes too! Good for you honey because I wanted a boy so that I was socially off the hook when it came to keeping you clean. Boys get dirty just like they're inherent nature intends for them to and I love it!

Hank, you are becoming very creative; both in how you figure out the world and how you react to it. The verbal protests are very predictable and music to my ears although you don't say a lot of real words yet. I hear a lot of Gaggle Aggle Aggle and Dah Dah Dah. Dah is dog and you are obsessed with them. Seeing them, touching them or just pointing them out. Every animal is a DAH! We read books about them, play with the one next door and overall just think they are the bomb!

You are figuring out the world one time out at a time. Holy cow, I didn't think that I'd be doing time outs so soon, but child 'o mine, you need them. I quickly found out that corporal punishment means nothing to you. You have a very high pain tolerance and will take the hit if it means ultimately getting to do what you wanted. I've got your number. Not that I have inflicted pain on you by any means; I did try to just flick your lip when you bit and say no so that you knew exactly what action I was disapproving- you didn't care. In fact, you hung on like a dog and bit harder! Momma finally figured out that you are a social boy and being taken out of the action for even 1 minute was just HORRIBLE! Just horrible! So thus began the time out phase of our relationship. You'll love me for it someday.

Everything is a phone. You wear my shoes around the house. You swiffer the floor. You press every single button looking for a reaction. And mine too.

Your laugh makes my day! A sense of humor is not lost on you - what you find funny usually makes kids cringe. Like getting sprayed with the garden hose. You just cracked up! Going down a slide that was clearly too big for you, smacking the back of your head on the way down and belly laughing at the end. I have the best pictures of the anticipatory sit at the top, the "oh crap" look in the middle and the "I conquered" grin in the landing mulch. Hank, I laugh every day at you, for you and with you. This is the fun side.

Stairs are still a bane to your walking experience. We've taught you to go down on your belly and even at smallest step requires that your turn around and scootch till your little foot can feel pavement - when you do this for cracks in the pavement I can't help but giggle. Even today you bent down to get on your belly a good 12 inches before the step even started! God help the knees of your pants, son.

You motto is now "I'm busy." Independence. Clearly you can't be bothered with a stinky butt and the 30 seconds I take to clean it.

Hank you really are the cutest thing as you struggle to be big. 18 months going on 30.

No comments: