Wednesday, August 18, 2010

This Addition is Not Math

G Dub and I are embarking on a home addition to give us growing room. We love our old house and hope to improve on it so that it meets the needs of our lifestyle. Yes, we can literally live in the 1200 sq. ft we have now but why not improve or move on up like the Jefferson's? It's still cheaper than moving.

This was the first house we looked at way back in 1999. We didn't know what we wanted. We had no idea that having the laundry in the basement would eventually piss me off so bad that I curse every load and encourage wearing jeans until they stand on their own. No, not really, but that got old quicker than I expected.

Back then we didn't need a lot. We weren't married; I was coming from a small apartment and G Dub from his parent's house. And hearing that the family renting this house before us had three kids we thought we had it made on space! That didn't last long either. We didn't know how toilet poor we were until the first time both of us had gastrointestinal explosions. Or until I got knocked up and lived out half my pregnancy in the bathroom!

The man helping us design the new space looked at us kinda weird when we asked how many bathrooms would fit in this new area. We even have a urinal in the basement for the Man Cave. I think a pull down cot would fit nicely in there too.

We have a couple of issues now to work out - a place to live for a couple of months and getting a home for my kitties. An extra 3 people is such an imposition and hotels are so expensive so who knows how that's going to go. We have had a offer from an excellent family that we love but adding us into their already 4 person household may push us over the maximum capacity for a single family home! And the cats, I love them and will miss them in my seemingly hardened heart but it's time for Atticus to get the attention he deserves. It's just not from me.

This is exciting! It's only day 2 and it's already inconvenient but I don't care. Bring it on! It is going to be stressful, unnerving, and maybe overwhelming but we can make it. We have too cuz we can't kill each other. Hank needs us!

No comments: