Saturday, August 28, 2010

Letter to Hank #11 - Cha cha cha cha changes

I know i'm a sentimentalist but come on, I've never been this bad! At milestone time I close my eyes tight and hang on hoping that it's over quick so I don't get caught up in trying to suspend time.

We have successfully transitioned from walking to running, nonsense to words but now it's hair of all things. If you had asked me 10 years ago if I'd have a problem with cutting my boy's hair I would have gave a hearty laugh and an overly confident " no". I was wrong, I was WRONG! Do you hear me as I scream it from the screen - Just once this week, I'm wrong!

You are mistaken for a girl pretty much every day now. I'm not worried about your sexual identity but you are a boy after all, can't you see all the ugly trucks on your clothes?, so I need to make the leap and get you trimmed up. But, where did my baby go?

I love how when you take a bath I get your hair wet and it goes past your neck; all straight and smooth. And it's downy soft. I could run my fingers through it all day. I go in and just rub your head when you are sleeping since you are actually still enough for me to do it. In fact, I saw a woman at a football game running her hand through her boy's blond hair, like she wasn't even aware she was doing it, and he was probably 7 or 8 years old. I immediately could relate to this loving gesture and know I'll do the same. At least until I get the look of "Mom, wouldya quit already?" then I'll have to get crafty and slip up on you!
Oh yeah, and did you know that you can still smell your head and smell the same smell you had when you were born? Sounds creepy maybe but I can pick you out of a group, no problem.

You bring me shoes to put on your feet and I can hear that you know I can do it. You don't let me do much else, Monkey, so I will take what I can get at this point. Hank, you do not hold my hand when you walk and pave your own path. What I'm trying to say is that I do not get a thing done when we are together! I have to correct you for safety reasons most of the time and you get so mad that you bite and head butt whatever is the closest surface. I'm hoping this emotional milestone passes soon for it's physical effects ie. bruises and ice packs that I've had to keep around as you find out just how hard wood surfaces really are.
The forced used is directly proportional to the pain experienced. Basically, you are running through Newton's Laws.

Ok, so back to the hair. Since I am utterly out of control on every other change you've been going through, I can control the last of your baby characteristics. Nothing else about you says Baby. But I'll let it go. I have to so you'll actually look like the precious, precocious boy you are!

No comments: