Friday, January 29, 2010

SnowDen

After a week of a sick baby I finally got to venture outside for something other than rushing to work for a 4 hour marathon of work duties. I've worked 3 half days this week and so has G Dub - it's finally Friday and we are definitely thankful.

Luckily, the snow held out for the end of the week. Going home early was actually a necessity today and I got to join all the state employees who think that 3 snowflakes is justification for staying home.

Hank was sleeping and I bundled up for a walk in the snow. We very rarely see this kind of weather and it was reminiscent of growing up in Missouri when my Dad would throw me into the snow drifts off the front porch. We don't have that much snow, of course, but it still brought up memories.

My boots crunching the ice, I just walked around the block. I was toasty warm. The sky had a glow to it from the city lights striking the dense clouds. Snow clouds seem so think and full. I smelled wood smoke from warm home fires. I walked slowly. Our neighborhood is normally bustling but tonight it's so still. Quiet. It's only 6pm. I got to walk on a street that on any other night would be suicide to walk down. The occasional car was fun to watch creep up a hill - snow slowed everyone down. I made fresh footsteps.

Neighbor kids were sledding down my street. You know I can't see that without joining in and sled down at top speed with hands raised high. I think the last time I did that I was being thrown into the snow drifts and not going nearly that fast. We had a blast. When I went inside I realized that my butt skin was so cold that I couldn't feel any sensation. I called in G Dub to feel it and we laughed.

What a superb night. Simple, easy and free. Tomorrow I'll face the nasty, dirty, slushy, salty streets that leave ice turds under your car. Back to the grind.

No comments: