Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Of a Controlling Nature

Control. Lack of, too much, in search of, total dismissal of it....good lord, get over it.
Control is a formidable opponent but it's a lengthy, tiresome battle. And why do we pull out the WWE moves with it, wear ourselves out, wrangle it our whole lives?? Most folks seem to be actively fighting it or running from it even if spiritually we are told to hand control over to a god-figure. And what part does Ego play in all this? Isn’t it our ego that would tell us we can wield our perceived mighty power over all people and situations? I'm thinking of words like domain and territory.

Watching a close family member unquestionably (and over confidently) think that his world is truly as he made it has cured me of over-controlling my environment. If anything I've gone too far the other way and am pretty apathetic; leaving the world to rule itself. I was visiting family recently and they cracked up at my unrealized motto to myself - It Just Is What It Is. I said it a few times too many. Sounds like I've given up, right?

Luckily, I don't think I have. Or I’m just trying to justify to myself that it’s ok to be mentally lazy! Seriously though, acknowledgement of forces in this world that I have absolutely nothing to do with is comforting to my small brain. It leaves room for more fun thoughts like “ I wonder what we would look like if there were no noses, hmmmm

Weird thing is, while I don’t necessarily buy the argument that one person can rule their world, I do believe in the power of one person changing the world. One person’s donation to a cause or caring words can always do SOMETHING good. Collectively speaking, we all do huge things, both positive and negative. I'll never know what these somethings are but I believe they are there. Somewhere in the universe, I don’t even care where. It doesn’t matter. Or is this is where you give it up to God and believe in every day mysteries?

No comments: